Education and Honors:
- 1984-1987 B.S, ITESM-Campus Guaymas, Biochemical Engineering, Mexico
- 1989-1991 M.S, ITESM-Campus Guaymas, Marine Biology
- 1991-1995 Ph.D, University of Georgia, Biochemistry
- 1995-1997 Postdoc, CCRC, University of Georgia
- 1997-2000 Research Scientist and coordinator, Research Center for Food and Development, Mexico
- 2001-present Co-Technical Director, NIH Integrated Resorce Center for Glycomics, CCRC, University of Georgia
My Research Interests are grouped in two areas: a) The development and use of glycomic tools for the discovery of biomarkers for biological development and disease and b) the expression and biochemical and kinetic characterization of recombinant mammalian glycosyltransferases.
On the first area, as Co-technical Director of the NCRR-Integrated Resource for biomedical Glycomics, my work has focused on the use of mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF, ESI-LTQ and ESI-LTQ-FT) for the structural analysis of N-linked glycans released from complex glycoprotein mixtures such as extracts from tissues or cultured cells. I have been involved in the development of Isotopic labeling techniques for the relative quantitation of oligosaccharide mixtures. Additionally, I have worked on the application of oligosaccharide enrichment techniques such as size exclusion chromatography or lectin affinity chromatography for glycoproteomic studies. In this topic, I have focused in the identification of N-linked glycosylation sites as a means to search for potential biomarkers for cancer or cellular development and differenciation in stem cell models.
On the second area, I am working on the biochemical and kinetic characterization of the two recombinant beta-1,6-N-acetylglycosaminyltraneferases GnT-Va and GnTVb (or GnT-IX) that have been cloned and expressed by our research group. For this purpose I have synthesized oligosaccharide and glycopeptide acceptors for the kinetic characterization of these enzymes. More recently I have done the kinetic characterization of the peptide-O-mannosyl-beta-1,2-Glucosaminyltransferase (POM-GnTI), using glycopeptide acceptors synthesized by Dr. David Live’s group, the sequences of these glycopeptides are based on the mucin-like domain of alpha Dystroglycan, a glycoprotein involved in muscular dystrophy. I have also participated on the characterization of the oligosaccharide structures produced in the brain of transgenic mice that lack the expression of GnTVa or GnTVb or both glycosyltransferases.
- Guo HB, Nairn A, Harris K, Randolph M, Alvarez-Manilla G, Moremen K, Pierce M. 2008. Loss of expression of N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase Va results in altered gene expression of glycosyltransferases and galectins. FEBS Lett. 582(4):527-35. Pubmed
- Orlando, R.; Botelho, J.C.; Atwood III, J.A.; Cheng, L.; Alvarez-Manilla, G. and York, W. S. in press. Quantification by Isobaric Labeling (QUIBL) for the Comparative Glycomic Study of O-linked Glycans. Int. J. Mass. Spec.
- Atwood III, J.A 3rd, Cheng, L., Alvarez-Manilla, G., Warren, N.L., York, W.S., and Orlando, R. 2008, “Quantitation by isobaric labeling: applications to glycomics” J. Proteome R. 7(1):367-74. Pubmed
- Guo, H., Nairn, A., Harris, K., Randolph, M. Alvarez-Manilla, G. Moremen, K. and Pierce, M. 2008 Loss of expression of N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase V causes altered gene expression of glycosyltransferases and galectins in mouse embryo fibroblasts. FEBS Lett. 582(4):527-35. Pubmed
- Alvarez-Manilla, G., Warren, N L., Abney, T., Azadi, P., Pierce, M. and Orlando, R. 2007 "Tools for glycomics II: Isotopic labeling of glycans with 13C for relative quantitation" Glycobiology: 17(7):677-687. Pubmed
- Macnaughtan, MA; Kamar, M; Alvarez-Manilla, G; Venot, A; Glushka, J; Pierce, M.; and Prestegard, J.H 2007, “NMR Structural Characterization of Substrates Bound to N-Acetylglucosaminyltransferase V” Molecular Biology, 366(4):1266-81 Pubmed
- Atwood III, JA, Minning T, Ludolf F, Nuccio A, Weatherly DB, Alvarez-Manilla G, Tarleton R, Orlando R. 2006. Glycoproteomics of Trypanosoma cruzi Trypomastigotes Using Subcellular Fractionation, Lectin Affinity, and Stable Isotope Labeling. J Proteome Res. 5(12):3376-3384. Pubmed
- Lee, I., Guo, H., Kamar, M., Lee, J.K., Alvarez-Manilla, G., and M. Pierce. 2006. "N-acetylglucosaminyltranferase VB expression enhances [[beta]]1 integrin- dependent PC12 neurite outgrowth on laminin and collagen" J. Neurochem. 97:947-956. Pubmed
- Alvarez-Manilla,G, Atwood, J., Guo, Y., Warren, N.L., Orlando, R. and Pierce, M. 2006. “Tools for glycoproteomic analysis: size exclusion chromatography facilitates identification of tryptic glycopeptides with N-linked glycosylation sites.” J. Proteome Res. 5 (3): 701-708. Pubmed
- Atwood III, J.A., Sahoo, S., Alvarez-Manilla, G. Weatherly, D. A., Kolli, K., Orlando, R. and W. S. York. 2005. Simple modification of a protein database for mass spectral identification of N-linked glycopeptides. Rapid comm.. mass spec. 19 (21): 3002-3006. Pubmed
- Sánchez-Brambila, G.Y., Alvarez-Manilla, G., Soto-Cordova, F., Lyon, B.G., and Pacheco Aguilar, R. 2004. Identification and characterization of the off-flavor in mantle muscle of jumbo squid (Dosidicus gigas) from the Gulf of California. Journal of Aquaculture Food Product Technology. Vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 55-67 British Library Direct
- M. Kamar, G. Alvarez-Manilla, T. Abney, P. Azadi, V.S.K. Kolli, R. Orlando, and M. Pierce (2004) Analysis of the site-specific N-glycosylation of b1,6 N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase V. Glycobiology 14, 583-592. fulltext Oxford Journals
- .Kaneko M, Alvarez-Manilla G, Kamar M, Lee I, Lee JK, Troupe K, Zhang WJ, Osawa M, Pierce M., 2003. “A novel beta(1,6)-N-acetylglucosaminyl-transferase V (GnT-VB).” Febs Lett 554 (3): 515-519 NOV 20 2003. Pubmed
- Balandran-Quintana, R.R,. Mendoza-Wilson, A.M., Alvarez-Manilla, G, Bergmann, C.W., Vargas-Arispuro I., Martinez-Tellez MA. 2002., Effect of pectic oligomers on physiological responses of chilling injury in discs excised from zucchini (Cucurbita pepo L.).Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 290(1):577-84. Pubmed
- Zhang, B., Palcic, M. M., Schriemer, D. C., Pierce, J. M., Alvarez-Manilla, G. and Hindsgaul, O. 2001, “Development of Frontal Affinity Chromatography Coupled to Mass Spectrometry (FAC/MS) for the Evaluation of Inhibitor Libraries for GlcNAcT-V” Analytical Biochemistry: 299:173-182. Fulltext Science Direct